create new Gtk+ widgets inside multithreads application

Hi

I created GtkLayout inside the main thread. Than I put there a few
GtkEventBoxes with GtkImages inside.

I want to add a new GtkEventBox with image to the layout from the second
thread, but the application hangs when the function gtk_layout_put is
called.
(I've surrounded the code in the second thread with
gdk_threads_enter()/gdk_threads_leave() )

Is it possible to add new widgets to the layout from the another thread? And
how to do it?

Thanks for help
Kasia