RE: GtkTreeView

1) Put a vertical scroll bar in a GtkTreeView widget.  Surely a
GtkScrolledWindow would also scroll the column headings, which is not
what I want.
Have you tried it? It does what you want. I don't think a GtkScrolledWindow
is quite as simple as you imagine. I think there are hooks for appropriate
behaviour.

2) Allow a user to toggle a GtkCellRendererToggle.  This
should update
an underlying G_TYPE_BOOLEAN field in the GtkTreeStore.

Unfortunately I have got stuck on both of these.  Any help would be
appreciated,

You need to set the CellRenderer's "activatable" property to TRUE, and you
need to handle it's toggled signal to set the new value back into the model.

It's easier with gtkmm, which does this common-case stuff automatically:
http://www.gtkmm.org/gtkmm2/docs/tutorial/html/ch08s02.html#id2878262

Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc usa net