Spin button inside a menu item

Hi !

I would like to create a popup menu that looks like this:

menu items
Insert <spinbutton> elements
menu items

I can build it easily enough, but I cannot convince the menu widget to
give input focus to the spin button contained within it.

I would like the following behaviour:
- When I move the mouse over the spin button menu item, it gets
  hilighted (normal menu behaviour).
- When the mouse enters the spin button, the hilight disappears, and the
  spin button gets input focus.  This allows me to click inside the
  entry, type a number, click the up and down arrows, etc., without the
  menu collapsing. At this point, the popup menu thinks the mouse is
  not hovering over it at all - this is why none of the items are
  hilighted.
- When the mouse leaves the spin button, the usual menu selection
  resumes.

Here's the source code building the menu, a window to click to make it
pop up, and some futile efforts at handing focus to the spin button:

http://qcadesigner.ca/nix/gtk-menu.c

TIA for your advice !