gtktreeview and spreadsheet, again

Like some people who posted a few days ago, I'm implementing a
spreadsheet-type widget with a gtktreeview.

Various problems I'm having would be much eased if there were a
straightforward way of interacting programmatically with the active
entry widget in the treeview (if any).  For example, in my sheet only
numeric entries are valid, and I'd like to say, "If no cell is
currently being edited and a numeric key is pressed, starting editing
the cell at path and column and insert the number corresponding to the
keystroke".

I've achieved the effect "start editing the cell when a numeric key is
pressed", using gtk_tree_view_set_cursor(), but without the proper
conditional "no cell currently being edited", and I'm having no
success with the "go ahead and insert the number" even though my
keystroke handler returns FALSE.

Does anyone have any pointers to offer in this area?  Thanks in
advance.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics