Re: Strange Problems w/ gnome_error_dialog

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 20:40, Eric Mader wrote:
Owen Taylor wrote:

[...]

(This looks like GNOME-1.2, so basically off-topic for this list in
point of fact; if you were using GTK+-2.x, GtkMessageDialog provides
a replacement for gnome_error_dialog()...)

My RedHat9 system doesn't seem to have GTK-2.* installed :-( I wonder if
it didn't install it because I upgraded a RH7.3 system...

You might not have gotten gtk2-devel on an upgrade. You certainly have
gtk2 installed, since it is used pervasively on the system.

In any case, the application is the ICU LayoutEngine sample, and it
needs to run on our supported RedHat platforms, which include RH 6 and
7, so I probably need to stick w/ GNOME-1.2.

Hmm, *we* no longer support Red Hat 6.x, and Red Hat 7.x only to the end
of this year. But since RHEL 2.1, which is similar to Red Hat 7.2
and doesn't have gtk2 is supported through 2007, I guess I can't
say that there's no point :-), though I really don't think people are
going to be using it as a platform for new development.

BTW: When I checked the web for information about gnome_error_dialog, it
was marked as deprecated, but the note didn't say what to use instead.
For deprecated functions, it's a good idea to say what should be used
instead.

The notes are generated automatically off the deprecation guards in the
header files, so adding pointers to the replacements takes additional
manual intervention. It wouldn't hurt to file a bug report, though I'm
not sure anyways all that actively working on the docs for libgnomeui.
I'd certainly recommend it for anyone who finds similar problems with
the GTK+ docs.

Regards,
                                                Owen