images with pixbuf?

hi all-

I'm just getting started with gtk, and i'm struggling with what i think
should be a fairly easy task.

i have existing code which manipulates images as 2D arrays of doubles
(bitmaps, i.e. 1 double per pixel).  I would simply like to display one of
these arrays in a gtkwindow.  ideally, i would like to be able to zoom and
pan as well.

I would like to modify and redraw the array about twice per second, and
the arrays can be fairly large, i.e. 1000 x 1000 pixels.

Is there anyway to connect a PixBuf to a bitmapped image?  it seems that
using Pixbufs requires that I first convert my images into RGB format,
which would be time consuming and would require two copies of the image in
memory, correct?

I also came across Dov Grobgeld's very nice GtkImageViewer widget which
would save me a lot of time, but because it is based on top of GdkPixBuf
it seems that to use it i need to convert to RGB.

any suggestions?

thanks very much-

                        -stefan gromoll