From: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
To: A B <alvinbeach hotmail com>
CC: gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: Xlib: unexpected async reply
Date: 30 Apr 2003 11:37:19 -0400

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 10:51, A B wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting the following error when I call
> gtk_progress_bar_set_fraction(pbProgress, (amountDone/total));
>
> pbProgress is a GtkProgressBar and both amountDone and total are of type
> 'double'.
>
> The error I get is:
>
> Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0x10e6)
>
> I have also set a g_timeout_add that every 2.5 seconds calls a method that
> only does:
>
> while(gtk_events_pending())
>    gtk_main_iteration();
>
> I do this so that the Progress Bar will update on it's own.
>

> Does anyone know of any reasons that cause this Xlib error message?

This error means something along the lines of:

 - You called GTK+ from a thread without taking the necessary precaution
   (read the FAQ and make sure to call gdk_threads_init() which is
   needed since GTK+-2.0)
 - You called out GTK+ out of a signal handler
 - You forked and continued use GTK+ in the forked process

It's basically saying "Xlib is confused"

Regards,
                                            Owen