Re: Using global variables for widgets

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:03:10 -0600
"Childers, Matthew" <mchilders bentonville k12 ar us> wrote:

Now, three years later I have taken up C again (dusting off the old
textbooks) and am getting into GTK.  I have been playing around with
test programs and need some program design advice.  I have a couple
widgets that when I press a button, I want them to disappear.  However,
with the g_signal_connect function, I can't seem to find a way to pass a
pointer of each of these widgets that I want hidden.  What I end up
doing is creating a global variable for each widget that I want hidden
and hiding them with a callback function.

You could use g_object_set_data(G_OBJECT(widget), "key", pointer) to store
the pointers to the widget, each with a different "key", if you _really_ do not
want to use global variables.

But I do not think that using globals is inherently evil. Read §1.10 from "the C
programming language" for more info on scope of variables.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email