gtk_tree_set_view_mode(GTK_TREE(tree), GTK_TREE_VIEW_ITEM) has no effect

Hi all,

I have looked to the archives but i didn't find any answer.

I create a tree, and i would like to set the view mode to GTK_TREE_VIEW_ITEM.

So this is a part of my code.

  GtkWidget *tree;

  tree = gtk_tree_new();
  gtk_tree_set_view_mode(GTK_TREE(tree), GTK_TREE_VIEW_ITEM);

Of course, *tree is root of my tree. But it seem to don't work. Is there a bug un GTK+, is there a workaround
for this ?

( according to gtk-config --version, I use gtk 1.2.10 )

thanks for any answer.
yann.