Re: Showing a window behind others?

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 07:54:39AM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

Around 10 o'clock on Mar 14, Owen Taylor wrote:

the X model doesn't really allow the stacking order
of managed clients to be controlled at the level that you want
here.

Once mapped, you can restack windows at will with XConfigureWindow.  The WM
is supposed to pull out the other client window ID from the request and stack
your frame relative to the frame containing the other client window.

Well - "at will" means "unless the window manager smacks you down"
and metacity for example will find various excuses to do so. ;-)

I don't see why simply setting TRANSIENT_FOR doesn't work here.  Owen
implies that the ICCCM forbids changing transient for on a mapped
window, but I don't actually see that in section 4.1.2.6, and while
some WMs may not honor it I think most will at least handle it
gracefully. If they don't they suck.

Havoc