Drag & Drop on GTK 1.3 (win32)

Gabriele Greco writes:
Just wondering if I have something special to do to make DnD work in a
reliable way in GTK 1.3 (2003/15/5) on the Win32 platform.

Not really. The way it works (or fails to work) is the way it
works. There isn't anything special you could do to make it work
better (except fix it yourself...).

I'm using the precompiled binaries, but I've seen in
the w32 sources that there is an OLE2_DND symbol that can be
defined

If my memory servers me right, the code inside #ifdef OLE2_DND is just
a very initial outline, not supposed to work. (To get "real" DnD
between applications on Win32, OLE has to be used. The DnD of files
from Explorer that you mention is handled used an older, simpler API.)

a gdk_dnd_init() call that gtk doesn't call anywhere,

gdk_dnd_init() is called from gdk_init_check() in gdk/gdk.c.

Just wondering if there is a way to make DnD work consistently both
with Linux and Win32,

You should open a bug on bugzilla, and provide a good, simple, and
complete test program, including a description of how it is supposed
to work (i.e. how it works on Unix, as I currently don't have any Unix
(Linux or other) systems at home to compare with).

But note that the chance of the GTK 1.3.0 (i.e. the
"gdk-1-3-win32-production" branch) getting much work done on it is
rather small. Development concentrates on GTK 2.2.x (and what
eventually will become 2.4). (And don't have as much time as I would
like to work on that, either.)

--tml