sending an event to a widget

Hi,
  looking through the list archives I saw a post that asked about
sending event to a widget. Someone answered recomending the use of

gtk_signal_emit_by_name(GTK_OBJECT(yourwidget), "configure_event",data);

But a follow up mentioned that only implementation code for an object
can do that.

So what is the method by which I can send a signal to an event in GTK2?

Thanks,

Rajarshi Guha <rajarshi presidency com> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE
All theoretical chemistry is really physics; and all theoretical
chemists
know it.
-- Richard P. Feynman