extending the event loop

Hello,

I'm having a problem with something that is probably fairly simple. I'm writing a normal(ish) keyboard/mouse application that needs to treat input from a serial port like keyboard input.

I think I understand the idea behind g_source_* and g_main_*, but I don't see how to add the gdk events (Expose/Destroy/...). Using gtk_main_iteration_do() everything works fine, but none of my own input sources work; using g_main_context_iteration() my input sources work, but the normals events don't... Is this documented somewhere, or is there some example code I can look at?

Thanks,
Anthony

ps. I'm using gtk2-2.2.1 and glib2-2.2.1.