Moving up with gtk - question

Hi,

I wrote an application that draws animations(transparent background pixmaps -
xpm files) on a drawing area representing the contents of an odbc database. I
did this using gtk1.2. It was very convenient, I needed cross platform  so
anjuta on mandrake and wglade on w2k made it easy to write the application on
both systems. I want to move up to a higher level of gtk, is there an easy
way to recompile linking against later gtk libs? What's the chances of not
having to recode?

Thanks,
Kim