how to put buttons , a menu bar and a drawing area together ????

hello everyone !!!!!
I`m a "freshman" in GTK and maybe this question seems silly, but here it
goes :

I have a box of buttons , a menu bar ( like the menu of Mozilla) made by
item factory , and a drawing area. Unfortunatelly , I CAN`T put this
three thing together. I try to use vbox , hbox , frame , separator but
nothing works.
Does anyone have a example or an advice to solve this ???

thanks for your consideration,

Samir , "the Incredible man that doesn`t know anything about GTK " :0)

Samir Bonho-LABSPOT-IC-UFSC