Newbie: Handling the keyboard

Hi,

Apologies if this is naive, but I just can't figure out from the GTK+
reference the right way to do this: I am writing an application where
the user will type in text at the keyboard, to be displayed in a text
viewer after it has been processed by the program. The text viewer must
have the input focus I presume, but text must not be written directly to
it since it has to be processed first.

I guess what I need is some way to read the keyboard's output into my
program first and then write it to the viewer after processing. Any
hints on this much appreciated!

My thanks in advance.

--
Regards      My Ham Radio callsign: 5B4AZ  QTH Loc: KM64MR
             My website (with some Ham Radio/Linux software):