Re: Problem forcing display of text

  I think that what may be happening is that you are inserting text too
frequently. GtkTextView updates itself in an idle function. If the gtk
main loop has no idle time, the text view updates will never happen.

  I suggest you update less frequently. Instead of inserting many small
chunks of text, append to a text buffer (GString). Every once in a while
(half a second, perhaps), flush the buffer into the text widget.