How to implement this in Gtk

In the ddd debugger there is a function
             if you select in  View  Menu

                                 ---> Command Tool
             it comes up a dialog window inside the ddd window at right
boarder.
             You can use the mouse to move it elsewhere on the screen
             but every time you move the main window the sub window is
moved too
             and it is always in front of the main window
How to implement in GtK 1.x or 2.x

                 main_window
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                                              |
|                                           dialog_window      |
|                                                 or           |
|                                           popup_window       |
|                                                              |
|                                         |----------------|   |
|                                         |                |   |
|                                         |                |   |
|                                         |                |   |
|                                         |                |   |
|                                         |________________|   |
|                                                              |

    The inside window should be of type dialog of popup
    so the widgets inside of dialog of popup are not entered
    if take take the TAB key to jump in main window the control
    of dialog or popup should take place when entered with the mouse.

I am looking for a function gtk that keeps a dialog of popup window
always
in front of its parent window. I thought set_transient_for does this
behavior
but it didn't work my I am doing something wrong.

And a function that binds a dialog or popup to a relative position to
the
parent.  When ever possible this should not be done by catching the
movement
events and place dialog the every time manually. Is there an automatic
attachment
for dialog or popup type windows

Thank you for any suggestions.

Best Regards