Installation problem with GTK2.2

Hi list,

I am having problem in upgrading GTK2.2 from GTK1.2. I have all the
dependancies like pkg_config,pango,atk installed in my machine. But
somehow when i give command ./configure --prefix=/usr/include/gtk2.2 it
gives me an informational error - path for pkg_config not found.

Can anyone help me in providing instruction to systematically upgrading
GTK2.2. The reason,I am saying this because I am refering the
installation information present on GTK site, but could not able to fix
this problem

Thanks in advance,

-vikram

Vikram S Bartakke