getting label string from menuitem

Hi,

in an option menu I would like to retrieve the label of the current
selected item. That menuitem is created with gtk_menu_item_new_with_label()
Seems easy to me:

        GtkWidget *menuitem, *menu, *label;
        const gchar *lang;
        /* get the menu from the option_menu */
        menu = gtk_option_menu_get_menu(GTK_OPTION_MENU(bfspell.lang));
        /* getting the active menuitem from the menu */
        menuitem = gtk_menu_get_active(GTK_MENU(menu));
        /* menuitem is a GtkBin, thus holds only 1 iterm,
        this is an accel_label since I used gtk_menu_item_new_with_label()
        to create it */
        label = gtk_bin_get_child(GTK_BIN(menuitem));
        /* now get the string */
        lang = gtk_label_get_label(GTK_LABEL( label ));

unbfortunately, the 'label' pointer is NULL...,

so gtk_bin_get_child(GTK_BIN(menuitem)) does return NULL for the menuitem.
I checked the gtkmenuitem.c file from gtk, but it really contains a child
(an accel_label).

Is my code correct? what is wrong with this bit of code?

thanks,
        Olivier