Re: Memory woes

On Ter, 2003-02-25 at 17:36, Rico wrote:
Hello All!
I'm getting my hands dirrty with Pan. I have the following struct:
typedef struct _Group
{
      GMutex       * article_mutex;

        guint          loaded_since_last_fetch  : 1;
        guint          articles_dirty           : 1;
      char           permission;
      gint8          flags;
      gint8          old_sort_style;
      gint8          new_sort_style;
      gulong         filter_show;
      guint32        filter_bits;
      gint32         article_qty;
      gint32         article_read_qty;
      gulong         article_low;
      gulong         article_last_low_fetched;
      gulong         article_high;
      gulong         article_high_old;

      Server       * server;
      char         * name;
      char         * filter_name;
      char         * identity_name;
      char         * description;                      /* maybe null */
      char         * download_dir;
      char         * default_charset;
      GStringChunk * chunk;

      /* PRIVATE */
      int            _articles_refcount;
      MemChunk     * _article_chunk;                   /* Article objects */
      Newsrc       * _newsrc;
      Newsrc       * _purged;
      GHashTable   * _articles;
      GPtrArray    * _deleted_articles;
      char         * _one_big_chunk;
      guint          _no_fetch_on_load        : 1;
}
Group;

Something like: Group * g = group_new(server, name);

returns a properly initialized, complete Group, with all the above members
as reported by gdb. I add those Group's to a GPtrArray like so:

                GPtrArray * groups = g_ptr_array_new ();
              g_ptr_array_add (groups, g);

then            call_some_func((Group **) groups->pdata);

but inside call_some_func(Group **groups), for all x, on

                print *groups[x]

gdb does not see the last member, _no_fetch_on_load. However, the compiler does
not complain about an unknown member. Instead,

       if (!groups[x]->_no_fetch_on_load) fetch_headers();

would _always_ make the call to fetch_headers(), even though I had set
_no_fetch_on_load to TRUE before getting to that point. Anyone has any idea,
could provide any hint about what's going on here? I've tried using a gboolean
instead of a guint _no_fetch_on_load, but same problem. Also, what does the
':1'
mean in "guint loaded_since_last_fetch : 1" ? Is it a compiler extension or is
it standard C ?

  That is a bitfield. ':1' means that the structure field
loaded_since_last_fetch occupies only one bit in the structure. In this
case, you have a 1-bit unsigned integer, which obviously can only hold
the values 0 and 1.
  Bitfields are standard C.
  In my opinion, gdb is very buggy, unfortunately.

Thanks,
Rico.