How to make a cellrenderer editable by functioncall?

Hi,

I'm trying to make a cellrenderer editable by a function. I tried calling 'gtk_tree_view_row_activated()' on the renderer (specified by the path and column) but than nothing happens. I don't understand all the parameters of 'gtk_cell_renderer_start_editing()'. Seems to me that a GtkCellRendererText should call that function, but GtkCellRendererText doesn't support such a function.
How can activate the entry of such a cell?
Of course I set the editable properties and just clicking on the renderer works.

Thanks in advance,

Remco Poelstra