Re: Video Player

I have to write a video player on Linux. Can any one tell that how shall
I proceed.
I have developed my own decoder library ,but now I want to write an
application also to demonstrate the library's capabilities.

Thanking u very much
 Regards

Nitin

Well, presumably, you'd just write a frontend for the decoder library you already wrote -- how you do that depends upon how you wrote your decoder library. If you want an example of a media player that uses backend libraries to handle the video and a frontend gtk+ gui, you could check out xine. It's open source (of course :) ), so you could look at it for inspiration or even copy large chunks of the code if you're not looking to develop something completely new. I don't think the gtk+ gui comes with the main xine package, so you may have to download it separately.

On a slightly different note, if you want to work with a specific media type under linux that you don't think is already supported, be sure to take a look at other linux multimedia projects out there. When I found out xine could load windows codecs without modification, I was pretty impressed. I was even more surprised to learn that it's a standard feature in mplayer (the other big linux media player) and gstreamer (a linux multimedia framework that serves roughly the same purpose directshow does in windows). Also, I've read that mplayer has native support for old quicktime files, and can load and play new quicktime files if it has access to the windows quicktime components available in the free win32 qt player. I've played old quicktime files with xine, but don't have any experience with new ones.

If you just can't find a media player for linux that already does what you need, and you wrote the decoder library so you could access a particular kind of previously unsupported content, there's another way you can easily play that content without having to write your own frontend: you could write a plugin for an already existing media player. By making a contribution to xine-libs, adding to mplayer's backend, or creating a gstreamer component, the respective application or framework would gain the ability to play whatever content you need. If you're writing this code for someone else, they'll probably appreciate being able to run a program they already know how to use in order to play the new media type. There's also the added benefit that everyone else who uses gnu/linux will benefit from your work. ;)

Of course, if you're writing the decoder and frontend just for kicks, none of that is really necessary. A peek at xine-gtk should get you started.

Hope that helps!