Re: 24-bit-per-pixel limit to Gdk RGB ?

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, individual wrote:

and, for what it's worth (pardon the lack of sophistication of this
bit) my display menu allows me to choose from "thousands" and
"millions".

15 or 16 bits (don't know which) and 24-bits (possibly masquerading as
32-bits for speed/alpha channels).

Yes! See, I want to add a display functionality to a scientific C++
class that I made that is supposed to make dealing with high-quality,
high resolution scientific data/images really easy. I use 48 bpp in the
data, and that is because the image doubles as data storage, which can
be read in at a later time to continue the procedure (images are
written out as PNG images, with lossless comprsession).
I felt that dithering the image data in order to display it would be a
non-ideal situation for this intended use.

Well, just keep all the data around and reduce it when you display it.
Don't try to use GdkRGB as your data model -- it's just a display device.

-Peter

"Of course, I'm not unbiased, but in my humble opinion, I've
 gotten close to something that I can be really proud of."
 -- Knuth on The Art of Computer Programming.