Re: 24-bit-per-pixel limit to Gdk RGB ?

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, individual wrote:

Is there a way to display 48-bit-per-pixel image data? The API
reference entry for GdkRgbDither states:

"Since GdkRGB currently only handles images with 8 bits per component,
dithering on 24 bit per pixel displays is a moot point. "

Shift the pixel data each channel by 16 bits before you stuff them in.

It's very difficult to see the difference anyway and most X servers won't
be able to give you a visual(*) with more than 8 bits per channel anyway.
Definitely not XFree86.  There are a few consumer grade cards out there
which will give you 10 bits per channel (or, I think, 10 bits for the
green channel and 8 for the others) but driver support for that is
probably scant.

*) Remember visuals from your delvings into Xlib? ;)

-Peter

"Of course, I'm not unbiased, but in my humble opinion, I've
 gotten close to something that I can be really proud of."
 -- Knuth on The Art of Computer Programming.