Re: [newbie] How to plot to drawing_area

On Sunday, February 2, 2003, at 09:57 AM, Roland Smith wrote:

Plotting pixel by pixel is _slow_. It's better to use GdkRGB, e.g. using gdk_draw_rgb_image(). What you have to do is read from the png file to a buffer containing an array of rgb values. This is then drawn to a drawable. See the
example in the GDK manual.

Ah! yes, speed is important.

I shall look at that example. I've also started learning about Xlib and making a window directly, bypassing Gtk, and I seem to be close to achieving what I want. That said, I really don't know if what I am doing is at all efficient.

Paul