[newbie] How to plot to drawing_area

Hi.

I started learning a little gtk+2.0 a few days ago. I liked it a lot, it seems within the reach of an amateur programmer like myself.

Often a good way to learn a new language/library/framework is to set oneself a goal, and then learn all that is necessary along the way to achieve that goal.

I understand the basic concept of callback functions, and packing widgets, and connecting the signals.

I decided it would be great if I could learn how to plot an image to a window, pixel by pixel. Getting the image is no problem at all, since I wrote a simple c++ class that uses libpng (<http://pngwriter.sourceforge.net/>).
The plotting part is what is holding me up.

I have looked at the scribble program that is given as an example, but I must say that the lack of a chapter on drawing_area widgets in the tutorial isn't helping me one bit!

I wonder if someone would be kind enough to point me to some code, that showed me how to set the foreground colour (with a simple RGB triplet) and then plot a given pixel.

Thanks in advance!

Paul