Re: high-level text drawing

Tom Liu wrote:

So many functions need to call to draw a string, it is very slow.
I tried with the directly Xdrawstring, the Pango is 600 times slower.
If there is no simpler way to do this, that will be too bad.
XDrawString draws bitmap fonts only, try to use Xft with scalable/antialiased fonts and you'll see the difference... If you have a bottleneck in drawing text - use PangoX backend or just raw X lib calls (you'll a HUGE pain in mixing glyphs from different languages). But 600 times you mentioned - are you kidding ? What hardware/X server/Xft/Xrender/fontconfig/freetype/Gtk/Pango/fonts are you using ? Some time ago when I was stuck on this I have 10-20 times on non-accelerated hardware.

   Olexiy