scales of different lengths?

Hello.
My GUI is following
 vbox {
   800x600 drawing area
   hscale
 }

The problem is that both hscales extents 800 pixels,
while I would like to have them 400 and 200 pixels
respectively. How to do it?

I noticed another problem: I want one pixel, one value
correspondence, but when I shorten the min-max range of
the adjustment, the slider starts skipping the pixels. It
looks like the precision stays fixed.

BTW, can GTK 1.2 and GTK2 co-exist in the Linux? I almost
deleted all the GTK1.2 stuff out, but in the last second
I thought there might be programs using the GTK 1.2 shared
libraries :-O

Regards,
Juhana