Widget borders in general

During my search for ways to get GtkProgressBar (in Gtk2) to do just what I want it to do, it occured to me
that a lot of widgets have borders.  Some of them allow their borders to be turned off, but so far as I can
tell GtkProgressBar and GtkEntry are two examples of those that do not.

In one of my projects in particular, I have a group of widgets which are very tightly bound, and would be
improved visually if I could replace their individual borders with a single frame around the outside, and a
simple 1-pixel wide black line between them.

Perhaps I'm just missing the obvious yet again, but I can't seem to find a way to switch off the default
border style.  Could it really be?

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com