Adding a function key to a window

I'm trying to simply add button to a window that the user can either click or press F7, either of which will
invoke a callback function.

I use gtk_signal_connect_object() to assign my callback function, which is working fine if I click the
button, but the F7 key doesn't work.

I have an accelerator group, and I first tried adding the GDK_F7 key using:

gtk_widget_add_accelerator( FK7, "clicked", accel_group, GDK_F1, 0, GTK_ACCEL_LOCKED );

but the function was not recognized.

I tried replacing that function with gtk_accel_group_connect, but I'm not sure what's supposed to go in the
'closure' arg.

The gtk reference pages say you don't usually call this directly, but through the ItemFactory.

So how do I just tie an F7 key to a function?  Am I trying the wrong method by using accelerator groups?

Thanks
Don