GtkProgressBar Query

Greetings people of the list...

I have a few questions, and am wondering if anyone can help me out a little here...

1) Text on an activity-mode Progress Bar.  I'm using a GtkProgressBar to represent a download.  Usually, when
I know how much data there is to fetch, it works perfectly with a percentage and the current kilobyte count
over top of the progress bar.  But when I don't know the file size, and hence wish to use activity mode, the
text won't show.  The only way I could get the kind of effect I wanted, was to simulate it with a bar that
grows from one end, then clears and grows back in the other direction from the other end.  It works, but it's
seriously dodgy.

2) Alignment of Progress Bar Text.  Centered, left or right-justified text is fine.  But I want to left-align
the text at about a 10th the total width in from the left hand edge.  This is not so fine.  It looks okay
while each bar has the same length text string, but as soon as one gets longer than the others it tends to
creep a little further left.  Is there any way to get it to justify on the alignment point, rather than
splitting the avaliable space as it does?

3) Borderless Progress Bar.  Is there a way to have the progress bar without the border?  I'd like to stick
three of them within a hbox, and enclose it in a frame to look like a regular Progress Bar.

4) Label overtop of another widget.  Anyone know how to stick label (or otherwise place text) overtop of
another widget?  This is kind of related to #2, to allow me to keep the usual text-over-progress effect.  But
it would be of use in a more generic sense.

Any constructive advice on how to achieve any of these goals is muchly appreciated...

Fredderic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com