L10N issues with GTK...

I'm having a problem with some localization issues with the
asian languages and Gnome.  It looks like Pango only wants to
work with UTF-8 encodings, but the encodings we have for the
asian languages are not UTF-8...  If we specify the LANG variable
properly, for example if I specify ja_JP.UTF-8 it all
works properly...  If I specify ja it breaks badly...

For example, if I stick non-UTF-8 asian strings into a GtkList
the text doesn't show up properly, and if I try to select one
of the entries GTK gets entirely botched up and hangs...  I get
no response from the GUI.

It looks like there is a call bind_textdomain_codeset() which is
automatically inserted by glade-2 in it's generated main routine,
which tells gettext to return UTF-8 (?), but it doesn't seem to work...

Any ideas?

--Al Amaral--