Umlaute-Question

Hi,

some days ago I encountered a problem with Umlaute (these German-characters
like Ä, Ö, Ü etc.):

I created a button with the text: "Ärzteliste"
but I did not see any text on the button. On the console I get the following
error-message:

        Invalid UTF8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()

When I removed the char. 'Ä' from the string everything worked fine.

How can I handle these characters?

I assume this question has been asked before so somewhere there exists an
answer. A link to this answer is sufficient.

Thanks.
AugustQ

PS: some years ago I worked for a company here. The owner of the company was
written "Plönzke", his company was written "Ploenzke" -> 'ö' converted into
"oe"
There have always been problems with the characters of the non-US-languages.