Draw an image in a container ussing transparency.

I know this has probably been covered a hundred time on this list but I must ask anyway. I tried to follow some of the other examples I found in the archive but i'm not having any luck.

What I am trying to do is to draw an xpm image to a container and using transparency using for example "magic pink" (255,0,255) as the transparent color to get an effect similar to the one is this post:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2003-October/msg00369.html

As far as I can tell the basic logic behind doing this is:

Create a window and pixmap widget
Create a pixmap from the xpm
Create a bitmap from the xpm
Create graphic context
Draw the image to the pixmap widget using the pixmap, bitmap, and gc data
Show the pixmap and window widgets.

Any help/links would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Nick Fotopoulos