AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT

Is there an example of how to use the AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT macro to add
support for g_gettext to an application. I tried following the gettext
manual. However there is a number of problems. The gettext manual talks
about adjusting Makefile.in, while I am using Makefile.am to generate
Makefile.in. Also, after running the recommended commands, which were

aclocal -I m4
autoconf
automake
./configure

I get error during compilation that USE_INCLUDED_LIBINTL is not defined.
I don't have those problems if I use AM_GNU_GETTEXT macro. I was
wondering if anybody ever wrote a tutorial showing how to transform a
simplest hello world type GTK application to one that supports
AM_GLIB_GNU_GETTEXT (changes necessary to configure.in, Makefile.am, po
directory, etc.) How does everybody else approach this? It seems that
there is no documentation explaining how to build internationalized GTK
or Gnome application. If there is, I would definitely appreciate a
pointer to it.

Bo