Re: software engineering

Jim, Peter, Dave,

Thanks a lot for your answers, I will look
carefully at the resources that you suggested
(some books I know, others are totally unknown
to me, perhaps I will buy some of them).

Having said that, I must add that it just puzzles
me that in the entire world wide web there is not
a single free forum/list exclusively dedicated to
discuss code quality and ways to improve it.

Because a book is different from a mailling list, that's
why we are all in this list, right? otherwise we would
be just re-reading Havoc's and the other Gtk books around
for the fourth time...

And please note that I am talking about real code, not
just blah, blah schematic, generic discussions, as is
unfortunately the case in many software engineering
books.

Some of this stuff is useful essentially for advanced
development (what are the advantages/disadvantages of
using recursive makefiles over including makefiles,
when code is spread over many directories, with several
levels of sub-directories, shall these makefiles be all
included in a single large makefile or use a cascade-style
including in sucessive layers?)

Other issues are useful even for newbies (what is the
best compromise for the maximum number of columns in a
programming line? very old Fortran compilers would ignore
everything above 80 columns, in modern languages as Python
this is a very critical issue, because wrapping long lines
would change completely the code meaning, so long lines
tend to be cut after some column limit, when printing)

I think I could come up with literally hundreds of topics
for discussion, and I really think that the free software
community should have lists to discuss these important issues.
If we discuss these topics and share our insights on the best
development practises, taken from our own experiences, the best
advices would be more widely adopted, thus improving code quality
and making it more easy to maintain these projects (an issue that
is particularly critical in free software projects: how much effort
new developers need to put to start writing useful code/docs for
the project? many people just give up because the entering barrier
is too high).

Carlos
http://www.gamgi.org/

Might try the Software Engineering Institute at Carnagie-Melon
University.  When I was in school they were doing alot of work with the
Govt. about process control, etc.  Not much was mentioned about Open
Source, but this was  a while back.

try:  http://www.sei.cmu.edu/

cheers,
Jim Parker

This is my reading list:
  Rapid Development by Steve McConnell
  The Mythical Man-Month by Fred Brooks
  The Psychology of Computer Programming by Gerald M. Weinberg
  Peopleware by Tom DeMarco & Timothy Lister

The first one is the most practical of the four - it also has the best
bibliography.

-Peter

Books I've found readable and practical:

Code Complete by Steve McConnell
Refactoring by Martin Fowler
Design Patterns Explained by Allan Shalloway and James Trott
The Pragmatic Programmer
Smalltalk, Design and Patterns by Chamond Liu

The last is a good introduction to OO even if you never intend to use
Smalltalk.

Dave Cook