Re: Developing for windows.

Hi Ian,

I'm using Cygwin and Gtk+2 to develop for windows.  I've been warned not
to enable the Cygwin library (which is a pretty good subset of Gnu LibC).
However, I'm using the Cygwin library with Gtk, and having no problems
yet.  I'm pretty sure that as long as I use Cygwin for
files/threads/sockets, and Gtk for GUI, they won't collide, but your
milage may vary.  I just can't face the idea of throwing away tons of
existing POSIX code and replacing it with GLib functions.  Basically, I'm
pretending that I'm developing in a Linux environment, thanks to Cygwin
and Gtk.  It's so much easier than trying to decipher the spaghetti-like
Windows API.  I extend my heartfelt thanks to the Gnu, Cygwin, Gtk, and
Gtk/Cygwin developers who are protecting me from Bill Gates. The only
problem I've run into which appears to be windows specific is that the
current version of Gtk can't set an icon for a window (on a Windows
system, this would appear at the upper left corner).  I understand a fix
is coming in a future rev of Gtk.

Packaging is a little messy.  You need to use a (free) Micro$oft proram
called "Dependency Walker" which goes and figures out all the .DLL files
needed by your app.  Check the archive of this list for where to find it.
I haven't done a thorough test, but it appears that if I put all the
.DLL's in the same directory with the app, I can just zip it up and move
it to another machine.  A quick check looked good for this procedure.  By
the way, you can select versions of Gtk for Cygwin, which use either X or
the Windows API as the foundation.  From your (API) point of view, they
look the same; however the X version is much slower, and generally I don't
see a benefit to it.

Get gtk for cygwin here:
http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~s01397ms/cygwin/

Joe Orgren
Senior Engineer
Organizational Strategies Inc.
Supporting the Applied Technology Division/OIT
Bureau of Customs & Border Protection
United States Department of Homeland Security
202-927-3967
202-927-2002

Message: 4