Re: help - gtk+2.2.1 and RH8

--- ZHOU DX <zhou_dx yahoo com> wrote:
Hi Harring,

Thanks for that. But as you said, Gtk2.0.6 is ABI with
Gtk2.2, it should not cause problem if I replace
Gtk2.0.6 with Gtk2.2 entirely.
  I am not 100% sure of that -- maybe someone on the list can confirm ??

 I notice that your
approach is trying to keep Gtk2.2 in a private place.
It may avoid the problem by preventing the original
gnome apps from using Gtk2.2.

  Yes, you are right -- It is just to avoid suprises like yours.

The question is how I
can make sure if my app links to the Gtk2.2 properly.

  If you use pkg-config program, it will pick up the right place so long as you
have PKG_CONFIG_PATH setup properly like I did on the previous e-mail.

  run: $pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0 (It should tell you where it is
pulling the flags from.) (You also can see the results on the make output.)

  You need to make sure you use pkg-config (This is the 'standard' way to make
out lives easier)

(Btw, is there any way to tell which Gtk version our
programs link to? )
  you cam use ldd, as in Loadale dependency ( man/ifo ldd for more info.)

  exaple: ldd myexcutable

Even if we can force it to do
that, it would raise difficulites when distributing
the application, I imagine.

  If your application is freeware, you can use m4 macros that EXPLICITLY
requires the user to link against the GTK version you want (again, use
pkg-config/m4 macros - ( You might also link it against an older one and see it
it build/runs OK. If it builds OK, but has problems running, you can give the
users a hands-up warning on a README file or something.
 If it is a proprietary application, you can always ditribute the gtk .so files
with it and place them on the installation path for your app. (Make sure you
read the GTK License agreement for requirements on distributing the binary .so

I can not check the crashing program from command
line, since the Terminal crashes as well. Gnome-panel
is another program that crashes.
  You could use KDE instead.. but it seems that it is so bad that it is not
worth the try.

Cheers,
Dan

Harring

--- Harring Figueiredo <harringf yahoo com> wrote:

  Hi Dan,

  I think that the Gtk2.0.6 is ABI (application
binary compatible) with
Gtk2.2.6. ( Not the 2.2.6 is 2 minor releases ahead
of 2.0.6. Something major
might have changed, but probably not API related.)

  Try to run some applications that are crashing
from the command line --
perhaps it will give you some glib/gtk warning or
fatal error and you can see
what is happening.

  Your best way out is:
  1) Reintall RH8
  2) Intall RH9 (Be warned that some themes cause
Glade2 to crash using RH 9.0)

  3) Try to reinstall gtk+2.0.6 (from the original
RH rpms).

  I have posted this a couple of times here, and I
will post it for you.
  Usually when I want to upgrade my GTK version, I
install it on a dir that has
nothing to do with the system (/usr/ & /usr/local
are definitely out of the
question  for the same problem you are reporting.)
  I usually intall on /opt/gtk<version>. Then I on
my .bashrc my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH and PATH are set to
point to that place.

  From that point on, I know if some GTK application
is crashing, I just unset
these vars and try to run again -- That way I know
for a fact if the new
version of GTK is messing up the application - I am
happy to report that this
approach has been working for me for over 5 times
that I have upgraded my GTK.

  Let me know what path you will take and how I can
help you should you need
any help.

Harring.

--- ZHOU DX <zhou_dx yahoo com> wrote:
Hi Harring,

I tried to install Gtk2.2 on my RH8.0 for several
times, but I can not make it work. The problem is
lots
of gnome apps crash after I installed Glib2.2,
which
makes my X unusable.
I just configure, compile and make install the
glib
source with default options, and then copy its
".pc"
file from "/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig" to
"/usr/lib/pkgconfig" (So I donot border to set the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH enviroment variables.), then I do
"ldconfig /usr/local/lib/", and restart xwindow.
During the startup, I have lots of programs
crashing.
(I remember I also tried install it into /usr/lib
directly by setting the "prefix" during the
configure,
but the same story)
I still can run Anjuta, so I guess it only affects
those apps based on Gnome libs. Either the glib2.2
changes its interface which destablises the Gnome,
or
it causes problem because of coexisting of
glib2.0.6
and 2.2. I have no idea. I can recover my system
by
linking the related ".so.0" back to glib2.0.6 or
just
reinstall glib2.0.6 rpm from the RH CD. I reported
this problem before, and someone suggests I should
upgrade my Gnome as well. But I donot have enough
brave to do that.
Is there anything wrong with my installing
procedure?

Cheers,
Dan

--- Harring Figueiredo <harringf yahoo com> wrote:

 Jun,

 I am running RedHat8.0 and have had no
problems.

 Just to let you know. Let me know if you need
any
help setting it up on RH8

 Thanks.
Harring
--- Jun Ma <ma_jun1973 yahoo com> wrote:
It doesn't work. Someone told me to install
RH9. I
will. Thank you.

 --- Harring Figueiredo <harringf yahoo com>
µÄÕýÎÄ£º>

 How about exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH ?

 % export

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

  HAring.
--- Jun Ma <ma_jun1973 yahoo com> wrote:
While installing gtk2.2.1 to my RedHat8
computer,
found the installation path is
/usr/local/lib
instead
of /usr/lib. So, after compiling gtk code
with
new
API's since gtk 2.2, the application can't
run
because
it can't find the lib file in /usr/lib.
So,
how to
solve the problem? I have tried to simply
copy
lib
file from /usr/local/lib to /usr/lib.
then,