Installing gtk, et al

I'm having some problems getting gtk installed, and I was hoping someone on this list could help
me...

I've compiled and installed pkg-config,glib, atk, and pango.  When I run configure for gtk
(2.2.1), I get the following error messages:

checking for TIFFReadScanline in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFWriteScanline in -ltiff... no
checking for TIFFFlushData in -ltiff34... no
configure: WARNING: *** TIFF plug-in will not be built (TIFF library not found)
***
configure: error:
*** Checks for TIFF loader failed. You can build without it by passing
*** --without-libtiff to configure but some programs using GTK+ may
*** not work properly

But when I do a 'locate' on libtiff, it looks like I've got it installed:

[chris g3216064 gtk+-2.2.1]$ locate libtiff
/usr/share/doc/libtiff3-3.5.7
/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
/usr/lib/libtiff.so.3.5

So, I figure what the heck, I don't really care about TIFF support, and try ./configure
--without-libtiff.  Then, I get practically the same error message about libjpeg, which looks to
be installed as well.

I figure its something silly, like an env variable not set, or something.  But I don't know where
to look.  Any ideas?

BTW:  I'm running Mandrake 9.1, if that helps.

Chris Shaffer