Re: reducing file size with image saving (gdk_pixbuf)

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:31:23 +0200
Olivier <olivier lx student wau nl> wrote:

Hi all,

in the Bluefish editor I have the ability for users to create (and save)
thumbnails. Mostly I use png images for thumbnails (users can also select
jpeg). If I create a thumbnail manually I do some color reduction. If I go
from RGB to lets say 64 colors I can reduce the size by 60%. Since the
target is a website size is important.

But if I save using gdk_pixbuf I can only save all RGB colors, resulting
in larger images. I can also not specify the compression factor for the
png compression (I would like to set that very high). How can I improve
this and generate smaller images?

Use g_spawn_[a]sync to do the conversion with the convert(1) program from the
ImageMagick suite. You can then use the -quality flag to set the compression
level, and the -scale flag to scale the image.

This does add a dependancy to your program, but ImageMagick is very common.

Roland
--
R.F. Smith                           /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
r s m i t h @ x s 4 a l l . n l      \ /    No HTML/RTF in email