freeing treestore resources

How does one automatically free the resources associated with a deleted row
in a treeview?

I have a column that contains a pointer to data that should be freed when
its row has been deleted.  I thought I could connect a cleanup function to
the "row-deleted" signal of the Tree Model, but after reading the signal
docs, it doesn't sound right: "The location pointed to should be the
location that the row was previously at.  It may not be a valid location
anymore."  Furthermore, I seem unable to connect.  when I call

g_signal_connect(store, "row-deleted", G_CALLBACK(row_free), NULL);

row_free() never gets called.

I know I must be overlooking something because this seems like a pretty
rudimentary requirement.

Thanks for any help.