Re: g_io_channel_add_watch

I think you will find (as I have implemented this myself) that I you try and use sockets WITHOUT using
gtk_input_add by using the g_io_channel_ functions instead, that the application won't repaint itself and the
application simply hangs!

Regards,

Martyn

 from:    Tristan Van Berkom <vantr touchtunes com>
 date:    Thu, 19 Sep 2002 15:24:40
 to:      harringf yahoo com
 cc:      gtk-app-devel-list gnome org
 subject: Re: g_io_channel_add_watch

      An IO channel needs an open file descritpor.
How do you manage that in windows ? I assume you need to
use a socket instead of a named pipe. (I'm guessing
you need a simple IPC). I'm absolutly clueless in
the Win environmentbut I know that g_io_channel_add_watch
needs to have an open file descriptor if its ever going
to perform select() poll() or whatever it does.

Good luck!
      -Tristan

Harring Figueiredo wrote:

Folks,

 I am writting an app on Linux to run on Win.

 On Win, once we open a file, it is locked, so other proc are automatically
blocked from  opening that file.

  I want to add a watch (g_io_chanel_add_watch) to a regular file on windows.
Will this cause the file to remain open while the watch is active ? Can the
other process(es) still open the file?

 Anyone with experience on that ?

 Thanks.

 I have not tested, because I still don;t have the Win machine... Thanks !!

Harring.