'refreshing' a widget

Hi,

I'm writing a program where widgets are altered by a thread other than the main gtk loop. (The thread reads a joystick device, and sleeps until a button is pressed).

I find that the display is never updated until something happens in the main loop, and presumable an expose event is emitted or something.

I'm guessing I need to emit this signal in the joystick thread but my best efforts to find out what precisely to do have come to nothing :(

Any help would be appreciated.

-Dave Cunningham