Re: gtk signals deprecated?

Hi,

On 13 Sep 2002 18:48:16 -0500
Jacob Perkins <jap1 users sourceforge net> wrote:

I'm reading the api docs for gtk2 on gnome.org, and the signals page
says that everything is deprecated.  But glade-2 uses them, and how else
is one supposed to connect signals to widgets?

The signalling stuff now has moved to the Glib Object System (GObject):
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gobject/index.html
(If you had taken a more close look at the API docs, you would have noticed that, but I'm not
perfect either...) The way of using it hasn't changed very much: in most situations, you only have
to replace gtk_* by g_* (thus g_signal_connect instead of gtk_signal_connect). This is well explained
in the gtk+ tutorial: http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/
The more complex stuff (emitting signals, creating new signals, etc.) has changed more drastically.
I don't know how to use it myself and the API docs aren't complete about that. (If someone wants to
make the API docs more complete, I would be very grateful.)

It is true there is still a lot of code written for gtk+ 2.0 that uses deprecated functions.
But I think this will be fixed rather soon.

I hope this can help you,

Pieter