How to identify each gnome canvas item???????

Hi,
I am working on Redhat Linux.
I am using gnome canvas for loading image and drawing different type
of items on it (e.g. line, rectangle, text). I want to store each item
in database with image. And when I am loding that image again from
database to canvas , all items should be displayed at its proper
position.
So, to store item in database, I need "id" or any other unique thing
of each item so that I can identify or modify any perticular item.

If anyone knows, how to get "id" of each item, or any other solution
for it, please help me.

Thanks in advanced,
Rahul