Re: The Gnome Clipboard Manager

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 15:32, Olivier Sessink wrote:

sorry for my ignorance if I'm wrong: but does that mean the clipboard
functionality is getting more complex? (I think it is quite complex
already!)

No it does not change anything to the clipboard functionality but 'can'
make it much more easy for your application to support storing multiple
clipboards (applications like Ms. Office and Ms. Visual Studio .NET also
do this) on a shelf.

So the GtkClipboard object can still -and should be used for setting and
claiming the clipboard in your application. The only thing that GNOME
Clipboard Manager will do once your application has set the
selectionownership is get the selection of your application, store it
and then set the selectionownership to the selection that got collected.

The libgcm library gives you the possibility to manage and control GNOME
Clipboard Manager from your application if that is what you want. But
nobody is required to use libgcm in order to make GNOME Clipboard
Manager work if it is installed by a user. GNOME Clipboard Manager works
without any library or function invokation on it's own. Libgcm is just
an extra toolset that you 'can' use.. to have more control over GNOME
Clipboard Manager from your application.

ps. GNOME Clipboard Manager works with all X applications. So not only
with GNOME applications. So you can use GNOME Clipboard Manager to
manage clipboards from applications using the Qt/KDE toolkids or
applications that are writting in Xlib ... Note that at this moment you
cannot use GNOME Clipboard Manager to share clipboards of the console
(gpm clipboard stuff) with clipboards that are set in X. However,
something like this could be programmed using a plugin or the libgcm
library.

--
Philip Van Hoof