gtk_file_selection_complete, option menu, and status bar history questions

Hi!

I have some questions about GTK-2.0.*.

1) In a file_selection window, I want to pop up with (by default) only
*.ext files shown. I tried to set gtk_file_selection_complete to that
pattern, but that was not sufficient (the pattern is in the filename
field, but all files are shown); an additional
gtk_file_selection_set_filename didn't work either. So how does one do
this?

2) I'm building an option menu with gtk_menu_new,
gtk_menu_item_new_with_label, gtk_menu_shell_append; then
gtk_option_menu_new, gtk_option_menu_set_menu,
gtk_option_menu_set_history. The width of the choice box defaults to
the size of the currently selected item; when I click on the option
menu to see the other choice, gtk realizes that there are longer lines
and may resize whole window to follow suit (e.g. when option_menu is
part of an equally-sized vbox of which option_menu then is longest
part) -- is there a way to tell GTK that it should be a bit more smart
about this? I could start up with the longest as default, of course,
but that's not a good default in my case :(

3) I'm using a status bar. Since this only shows the last message, I'd
like to offer the possibility to show earlier messages too. What does
one usually do in this case? Do I have to create and fill a text
widget with the statusbar history myself?

Thanks for your time,
 Thomas

--
Thomas Klausner - wiz danbala ifoer tuwien ac at
Main Rule of Usenet:  Never argue with idiots.  They drag you down to