Toolbar/Toolbox or something other...

Hi,

1.
I want for my programm a toolbar für paint-tools like in the new gimp or
glade. How is this done? I tried it with buttons, but it looked
terrible, because they are focused with a small dotted line and it
doesn't really look like a Tool-Box. Then I'd the idea to put some
vertical toolbars in ab box, but then it's static.

In gimp I've the ability to resize the toolbox and the icons are
auto-ordered. Is there an easy way to create such an toolbox? If not
which widgets should I take for a solution? Buttons? Toolbars?

2.
I tried all examples in the gtk-tutorial and now I started programming.
So, please excuse me for this propably simple questions.

In the examples are explained how I could connect a signal to a widget.
So I could press on a button and print out the text of an entry. Or I
could click a checkbox for write-protect an entry. But I want to press
on a button and do something with an enrtry, but only if a checkbox is
checked. So, how could I connect a signal with two "data's".

This is normal:
  g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (button), "clicked",
                    G_CALLBACK (run), (gpointer) entry);

But I search something like this:
  g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (button), "clicked",
                    G_CALLBACK (run), (gpointer) entry, (gpointer)
checkbox);

I hope you understand what I want do do ;-)

Thanks
Andreas