Setting the colour of the button

Hi,

I want to have a button that shows the current colour (for a drawing package). It needs to be able to use rgb values. What is the best way of doing this?

My current approach is to use a GdkPixbuf, but I am getting errors when I try to add it to the drawing area which I have added to the button. The code looks like this:

colorbutton = gtk_button_new();
colordarea = gtk_drawing_area_new();
gtk_widget_set_size_request(colordarea, 40, 40);
gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(colorbutton), colordarea);
colorpixbuf = gdk_pixbuf_new(GDK_COLORSPACE_RGB, FALSE,
                    8, 40, 40);
gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable(colorpixbuf,
                    colordarea->window,
                    colordarea->style->fg_gc[GTK_STATE_NORMAL],
                    0, 0, 0, 0, 40, 40,
                    GDK_RGB_DITHER_MAX, 0, 0);

The error (at runtime) looks like this:

(draw:2715): Gdk-CRITICAL **: file ../../gdk/gdkpixbuf-render.c: line 182 (gdk_pixbuf_render_to_drawable): assertion `drawable != NULL' failed

I am sure that I initialised the drawing area, so why am I getting the error?

Best regards,

Chris.